Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday 28 February 2007

May I Have this Dance?

After 18 years of driving from West Virginia to Washington D.C. every morning and 30 years total service, my husband decided to retire from the military. He could have hung around the house and I would have been happy to give him a list of things to do that I was too short to reach or too busy to fix or too weak to lift or too smart to worry about. All he wanted to do was not put on his uniform when he got up in the morning. God, however, must think he looks rather snappy in the uniform, as do I, because He called him to teach Jr. R.O.T. C. in the public high school. Now, every morning he puts on the uniform and spends his day with 210 high school kids, 3 of which are our own kids. He actually loves being with them and the Lord has given him many opportunities to speak that love into his student's lives.
One of the big
gest events of the year is the Military Ball. It's a VERY formal affair, much more refined than a prom. Weeks are spent in preparation...leaning military etiquette, honing manners and learning how to dance without stepping on your partners feet. (This is particularly difficult for the 9Th grade boys- many of whom would rather eat gum off the bottom of their shoe than dance with a girl at all.) I had the pleasure of dancing with my husband and both sons and my toes were unharmed.
Maybe this wasn't the retirement James had planned but women love a man in un
iform and it's working for me

9 comments:

justjuls said...

This picture is awesome. I hope you have a big one framed and sitting out somewhere at home. :)
I'll be checking when I come sometime in May - when we come for the um, WAY less formal Spring Fling!

James said...

The pleasure of the dance was ALL mine I assure you.

Anonymous said...

Ya'll look gah-geous! I don't know what I would do without seeing my Poppa in uniform once in a while. Of course, I'd just be happy to see him at all. Sniff!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that would be Kirk that wrote that last comment. Typing a little too fast.

Fifi said...

My,My,My.......... your Hubby and your kids( I recognise the 2 boys!) look extremely handsome. You and your Hubby are doing such wonderful things for these kids who are in need of a stable and loving home environment.You inspire me!
Love Fee

Anonymous said...

Am I a dork to admit that I got teary eyed looking at the picture? Having a son who will most likely be going to the Air Force academy I saw myself!

vavavoom dress BTW:

javamamma said...

Hey! I followed you over from hsb'er. Love your new place. You guys look totally smashing all dressed up! Come visit me sometime. I'm javamamma here as I was there. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

That's quite a makeover... You forgot to do a before and after shot.

Anonymous said...

You are a handsome family. I pray that David is able to follow his dream.

Rob