Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday 22 February 2007

Calm Down

Our next door neighbors have inherited a dog from one of their relatives and I made the dog's acquaintance yesterday. The little guy is a poodle/cairn terrier mix...which is like putting a caffeine IV in a fools arm. Completely wild with absolutely no sense. The dog was cute and friendly enough, but what intrigued me was the saddle looking thing on his back. His owner explained that he was so hyper that he would literally spin out of control when walked on a lease - flying around, tangling himself, falling over. They bought a "back pack" for him that had pockets on either side to load weights. The weights were enough to keep him walking forward instead of in circles. They had experimented with the weights to find the perfect amount. Too much and his legs went out to the side on a slick floor and too little and he continued his ridiculous gyrations. Kind of like Ritalin for dogs.
I was thinking about the dog and wondered if God uses a similar approach with us. When my two biological daughters were in school I had way too much time and energy on my hands. I worked some, but I could have easily started spinning out of control with so little "weight" on my life. Starting into foster/adoptive care was perfect. I loved the excitement, craziness, places to go and even the work it took to have a big family. God found the perfect balance for my life these 17 years. Although at times I have felt my legs going out to the side He knows how much is enough and picks me up gently when needed. I am hoping someday He finds me capable of walking around without too much extra weight.....maybe if I promise to be real good & quiet! (Actually that sounds completely boring)

7 comments:

FreedomInChrist said...

WOW, that sounds cool. I have never heard of such a thing. Well, whatever works, i guess.
And, God knows exactly what to give us doesn't he??!!And, you are sooo good at it!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a "dog whisperer" technique....I love the analogy you used! Lol...most days my legs feel a lil slippery but like you, God just sorta hefts me back up and I go on my merry way.

We did foster care one time...we're actually prepping to adopt some children from foster care, getting an updated homestudy, etc. There are so many kids that need homes - the numbers just boggle my mind.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Mom. I have often thought that the things God has given me that I credit myself and my "good behavior" with are often those sort of weights to save me from myself. In the end, then, it wasn't because I was really deserving and good, but because he knew I'd be a mess without it. Humbling, huh?

KarenW said...

God makes all of us unique, doesn't He! And trains us in ways that are fit for us. Praise the Lord that He knows what is best for our lives.

Anonymous said...

hi, thank you so much for putting comments on my blog...I was beginning to wonder if anyone other than my dad reads them:-) I posted about the turnips, and even have a picture on there....it's an asian turnip.
question for you, when you had foster kids return home, how do you handle it? we have two that are "done" June 30th, but one will probably be staying (an unofficially adopted daughter....she's been here almost 6yrs now), the other is going home and then for highschool may come back. We don't feel she should go back, but you know how that goes. Any suggestions?
deana--in Taiwan

Anonymous said...

This left me and Alexandra with a very funny visual of you.

Anonymous said...

I quote you,"maybe if I promise to be real good and quiet..." Have you heard of a "snowballs chance...or a certain hot place freezes over..."?

Taking your analogy into consideration, I'm thinking it means I've had a better than average chance of getting into trouble lately...