Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 4 February 2007

The Cure Can Kill You

My husband James and son David were still feeling bad with the flu after a week and they went to the doctor's office Friday afternoon to see what was up. My husband was given an antibiotic and took one dose that night. Saturday morning he woke up with swollen and red hands, face and other areas. He called the doctor back and was told to stop taking the medicine and to take Benedryl instead. This morning upon waking, the rash and swelling was way worse and his skin had started to blister and peel off. I told him that he had some kind of flesh eating bacteria. He didn't find that as funny as I thought he would. He went to the emergency room while I went to church for worship and to pick up the teens returning from camp. Seems that James has had a severe reaction to the one dose of penicillin and developed an extremely serious condition called Steven-Johnsons Syndrome. He was admitted to the hospital this evening and they are hoping they can stop it at this stage. His skin is really peeling off leaving open areas that can get infected. I would appreciate your prayers for him. Fourtunatley he isn't in any pain and he said he feels really good actually as the flu seems to have gone away. Yikes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your husband's blog and will be praying for a quick recovery.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Yuck, That just sounds nasty. I hope and pray that he is doing better.
When Kait was a baby she had a reaction to Ceclor that gave her hives and in between the hives her skin turned black/purple like bad bruises. It was a rare reaction and she was put on display at the ER because no one had seen it except in textbooks. They said it was fairly harmless but it itched like crazy so they gave us something to make her comfortable and sent us home, but it took quite awhile before her skin was normal again.

justjuls said...

Geesh - how rough. I am glad he's at least "feeling" better. I am sure he loves being in a hospital and confined to a bed. Actually now that I'm thinking about it - it would probably be like a million times worse for you! I know how well you sit still

Anonymous said...

Wow Kate, I am praying for a good outcome for him. They caught it fast enough so it should be able to be stopped. One thing needs to another doesn't it.
Kelly