Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday 5 March 2007

Please Mom, Please Can't We Keep Her?

A few days ago we had one of those dreaded parental moments......a stray dog showed up in the yard and all the kids fell in love....instantly. I couldn't blame them, she was beautiful, about a year old, a perfect German Shepherd. Her eyes were soft and she had the kind of sweet personality that was made for a family with tons of kids. They took her out in the back yard and she fetched sticks and caught snowballs in the air and ran circles around them as if she had known them all her life. They named her "Germany"(my kids aren't particularly creative) and they just knew they had the best gosh -darn dog a kid could ever want. Then I told them, "Sorry, no way, we're not keeping her." I could have said, "Your father has been killed in an atomic blast and you'll never see him again" and gotten less grief. There was wailing and begging and bribing and that never believed for a second plea of "I swear, you won't have to do anything, we'll take care of her." I stood my ground against all of them. It wasn't easy. Germany would come up to me and put her nose in my hand. She never left the yard and would lay by the front door no matter that it was 20 degrees outside - how could you not love her loyal spirit? But I stood my ground. I'm not a dog hater. I've had a dog my entire life until last year and loved them all like I would die without them. But right now, I can't do one more thing. This shoe is filled to the brim with my husband and kids, homeschooling and friends, laundry and cleaning, blogs and books and just the hair the dog would shed would over-fill us and I would have to run away and join the gypsy circus.
Everyone's a little sad, as she found a new home this morning. Some family will love her and she deserves it. Bye Germany.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how your children feel about giving Germany away. My family used to have a dog, an adorable English Springner Spainial named Daisy. I fell in love with her. But, my mom and Dad gave her away. I was (and still) am sooo sad! My favorite dog is the German Shepherd.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you are tough. I would have caved. And then I would have run away and joined the circus. But it would be OK because the kids would have the dog to take my place...

justjuls said...

You're so mean!
I'm just kidding - you have to have a line somewhere!
We got our lovable Jett when we were putting our house on the market - and about to make a cross country move. I saw the look in their eyes when the kids came up to me with this less than 2 pound puppy - and said, "no no no no no" before anyone could talk. Then the begging started - so I said, 'Go ask your dad.' HE CAVED! The big lug! Moving was a billion times harder - but we wouldn't trade him for a billion dollars.

KarenW said...

"I swear, you won't have to do anything, we'll take care of her." I think that phrase is programed into every child's DNA.

Anonymous said...

That is the dog my son wants for a outside guard dog. Ours is vicous and has to be kept inside a kennel. We have a indoor dog, guinea pig, hamster, cocketiel and 3 betta fish. Outside we have 2 horses, 1 dog and 13 chickens. I am thinking about a petting zoo and it will pay for all their food. We love pets and my kids HAVE to take care of theirs not me. If they didn't I would not have them around as it is too much work as you said, ect.

Anonymous said...

No, you're not a dog hater. You're just a busy mom. I'm impressed with your standing strong.

The closest thing I've had to that kind of test? A sray pet rabbit. A seriously cute, totally domesticated rabbit. She put her paws on my sliding glass door. I'm not kidding!

We already had 4 rabbits and didn't need another. (Oh come on mom, what's one more rabbit?!)

I actually took the thing to the animal shelter to satisfy my kids that the coyotes wouldn't get her.

Anonymous said...

Well, you know my stance on dogs. I'm sorry for my sibs, but there is that one last straw, you know, and the gypsy circus looks mighty inviting.

Anonymous said...

I know of at least one you would have gladly died without... And yes, Joanne, I'd like you to join that three ring circus... This one's getting boring...

EKM2