Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday 24 September 2007

You Can't Take it With You..unless it fits in your suitcase

My daughter Kirsten and her husband Stephen and their five kids have begun the process of leaving France and moving onto the misson field in Africa. As they prepare to go they have to decide what can't go with them....which is pretty much everything. Each of them can carry one suitcase's worth of belongings. (I'd have a hard time narrowing down to one moving van!) They have recently given up their home phone and no longer have internet at their house. Our ability to talk to each other has become almost nonexsistant and will be even more so when they get into Africa. I feel as though they are fading away right before my eyes. I miss them.
This past Sunday our Pastor talked about the end times when this world will pass away and about a new heaven and a new earth. I thought about Kirsten and Steve and how the things of this world are becoming much less for them. They are trading these earthly treasures that we seem to want to cling to for the good and eternal things of God's kingdom.

"What I mean, brothers, is that the time is short. From now on those who have wives should live as if they had none; those who mourn, as if they did not; those who are happy, as if they were not; those who buy something, as if it were not theirs to keep; those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away." 1 Corinthians 7:29-31

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are an awesome mom for letting your daughter go and do the Lord's work....my mom is the same, though we are far away, there are no regrets!!
I am trying to find a time to get to visit you all. We are praying we can. Just gotta figure out the time it will take to get there and work in our schedule!!

Anonymous said...

How can something so good and exciting feel so sad at the same time :(

justjuls said...

Ditto what Joanne said -
I read that verse and it brought tears to my eyes.

I will be praying for Kirsten and Steve. Can you share some more specific info - like actual leave dates, etc. or email me?

Fifi said...

So so true! Mixed emotions I'm sure! Where in Africa are they going?

Mammy said...

You must be very proud of them. I know I would be.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

That verse sure puts things in perspective.
I'm about to move into smaller digs, and stressed over having to decide what can go with me and what needs to get left behind, but when I think of folks like you and James, and Kirsten and Steve, and the sacrifices you all so joyfully make to serve the Lord, it makes everything else seem very petty.

KarenW said...

How well I remember packing for the mission field! Trying to decide what was important enough to fill our 70 pound limit was tough. Then they dropped it down to 50!

It's hard to let loved ones go but they are still in God's Hand. God bless you and them both!