Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday 11 September 2007

Can I Get a Cup of Coffee Around Here?

Mornings have become a little hectic around here. I'm out of bed by 6:00am and can usually count on a half hour by myself to ask God what's up for the day before the little guy is crying. He doesn't do mornings well. Wrong side of the crib or something. David and Kelly are also up at 6:00am and heading out to school clutching a package of Pop-Tarts - the breakfast of champions and of kids whose mom won't make them anything. I get our Kindergarten girl up at 7:00am and get her on the bus at 8:00 and she's pretty much the easiest kid ever and she ONLY eats Lucky Charms which proves the theory, "You are what you eat." because she is charming indeed. A friend drops off her daughter at 8:15am so she can homeschool with us and I wake up the other three kids and unhook Grace from her dialysis machine.
I don't mind any of this except for my coffee problem. I pour my cup of coffee intending to sit and drink it and an interruption happens. By the time I return to it - it's cold. So I nuke it in the microwave and take a sip and then again an interruption. Ten minutes later I'm back- the coffee is again cold and another round of radiation in the microwave. I confess to nuking a cup 5 times in one morning. But today was bad. I had reheated my cup a few times and now I really needed it. It wasn't in the microwave. It wasn't anywhere. I retraced my steps, upstairs, in the laundry room, by the computer, the copier, the back porch. I'm mad and I really really want some coffee. I resort to bribing my children. I promise to give anyone who finds it a candy bar that they can eat right now if they want it. (I don't actually have a candy bar to give them but I was willing to lie at this point.) Everyone's dashing around searching. Steven finally finds it outside at the end of the driveway where I had set it down to shoot hoops while waiting for Gabby's bus to come. I send the coffee for it's final spin in the microwave and sit down. It's now 9:00 and we start school. We pray around the table and by the time we're done the coffee is cold. I get up and dump it down the sink.

6 comments:

Perri said...

something to be said for Mt. Dew!

Jamison C. Jennings said...

maybe you should get one of those insulated commuter mugs so it stays hot longer, or switch to iced coffee, but then it gets watered down.

justjuls said...

I do this exact same thing - not with the kids - geesh that'd kill me - but with the coffee. Ya know what we got that makes my life so much nicer - a Braun thermal coffee pot. It stays hot all day. You should pour only a half then you won't feel bad when it's cold and have to pour another half!
Reheated coffee is bad for you - something about cholesterol.
There is the option of giving it up altogether! Don't tell anybody I told you.

Anonymous said...

You need a clap-on cup so you can clap and an alarm will sound leading you to the coffee. Like the pager on the cordless phone.

Anonymous said...

I can relate with the coffee thing. But you can only reheat it so many times before it is just awful! I've been desperate enough that I have drank it cold (how is it different then an iced latte??? it is somehow and it is really disgusting I don't recommend it)Don't listen to Julie, DON'T GIVE UP THE COFFEE!!!

Mammy said...

I love coffee. Way too much - it's my only addiction. Except maybe chocolate.

Did you get my email back?