Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday 5 September 2007

Just connect this thingy to that thingy and.....

With Grace's last surgery finished to repair her catheter, we did one last training day at Children's Hospital and they told us we were on our own. We loaded the car up with machines and tubes and bags and a million other parts and pieces and brought it all home. I was just a little, teeny bit apprehensive (massively actually) about the whole thing but how bad could I mess it up? Monday night we hooked everything up and started the dialysis running at 10:30pm. At 4:30 in the morning I heard an alarm from her machine, went into her room, slipped on a draining bag of fluid on the floor and did one of those clawing, spinning into the air turns and caught myself. Grace was so sound asleep she didn't hear the alarm at all or my flailing around next to her. I flipped her over a couple of times and the alarms stoped. The next morning at 7:30 I unhooked her. We did it!! If you have to have kidney failure and you have to do dialysis, peritoneal dialysis is the way to go. Grace has no more inconvenience than being tethered to a machine while she sleeps. She feels good, no side affects and the rest of the day is hers. As fun as this all is, we are praying that a kidney comes available to her soon and she can be "regular" again. Grace has never been regular but we're not telling her that!

4 comments:

justjuls said...

Oh my gosh - I can totally picture you doing that dance! Geesh - just what you would need, falling and breaking yourself. I am glad things are going good - I feel so out of the loop.

And YES, you people were super great, but I am finding that there are some really cool people wherever you go. They don't seem to take the place of my WV buddies - maybe it's hurt so bad this past year because my heart had to grow.

Love to you and Grace. No normal kid would survive at the Aclys. (Or the Forsythes for that matter!)

justjuls said...

Oh, I hope there's no one comment rule here - but I just saw this post title on my Google reader - it made me think of Carol Swiger hosting a Pampered Chef party! She called everything a thingy or a thing-a-ma-jig. Ha.

Perri said...

That looks like a much better set-up than having to go to the hospital all the time.

Praying for a kidney soon.

Mammy said...

Kate,

please email me at whiterabbit1967@yahoo.com