Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday 22 September 2007

I Used To Be Me

As any mom with extreme numbers of kids (and especially kids with a lot of physical needs) will tell you...your social life pretty much stinks. I used to have friends and I actually did things with them. Adult things. Lately, my adult encounters are severely lacking. It's so bad that I've tried to strike up a friendship with the U.P.S. man as he's one of the few people who come to visit anymore. I can't tell if he likes me or if I freak him out. My best friends Anita and Adela have attempted to invite me out for lunch numerous times and I told them to forget me. I can't talk on the phone because the minute I pick it up, someone is either crying or standing in front of me waiting....who can concentrate?
Last week Anita called and suggested that while our girls had cheer practice we should slip away and have a latte. I didn't have much hope, but agreed. Yesterday Anita came by, picked us up, dropped the girls all off and we went out by ourselves. We sat outside of Panara Bread at a little table and sipped our drinks. It was quiet and wonderfully relaxing. Heaven!
There were still a billion kids there when I got home and David put Trent to bed with his diaper on backwards (which for some reason causes the urine to soak the crib sheet but not the child and he slept in longer than he ever had before) but for that hour....I was me again. Thanks Anita for not letting me disappear completely.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When year-end is over at work I'll come visit again. Don't disappear.

Mammy said...

It's so nice to be able to sneak away and play grown up lady sometimes. Even an hour is paradise. The nice thing about lots of kids, is even when the nest is empty, it won't be empty because of all the kids who come home and because of all the grandkids. So even in empty nest years, we'll still need to slip away and play grown up lady. ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

Aren't friends great? Anita is one of the best. she is awesome.

I'm glad you had some down time.

girl with a flower tattoo said...

mmm.... coffee...

coffee & friends keep us real.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.