Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Monday 2 April 2007

Better to Have Loved and Lost

Being a foster parent is about the greatest thing I can think of to do. You get to have a ton of kids without all the stretch marks. They don't always look like you, but in my case, the kids probably think that's a good thing. Dull moments are non-existent and flexibility becomes your best trait. I've gotten to parent some of my favorite people in the whole world.
And then there's the hard parts.
We've had a delightful, goofy, sweet, strange little boy with us for the last year. He has enough "labels" to fill a psychiatrists clipboard front and back. He's in special education at school and has occupational and physical therapy.
We just like him and he likes us.
Tomorrow he moves to his aunts house and becomes her little boy. It's a good place for him and she's excited to have him. Troy says he's "a little happy" and I am too...and a lot sad. He's flying out tomorrow with a huge part of my heart.

6 comments:

justjuls said...

I never know how you do it - but that is one of the things that lets us know what a special gift it is that you have to foster parent. Not everybody can do it. I fight for my heart to all stay in once piece for dear life because I lived with it in such pieces growing up. You are blessed beyond measure. I have fallen in love with so many of your kids -
How do you do it my hero?

Anonymous said...

It's like watching your child be married, in a way (not the I'd know, but I'm assuming)

You're happy for them and THEIR happiness, but sad at the ending of a part of their life with you.

I don't know you, but I sure do like you. How's them apples?

Karasmith said...

"Litle Scarley" will really miss her Uncle! He was lucky to have had such a loving home and to have an aunt who really wants him!

Perri said...

I'm having flashbacks when I read this of watching pieces of my own heart drive away while waving through the back window of a car.

You are in my prayers

Fifi said...

My oh my...... this must be extremely hard. You and Hubby are doing such a beautiful thing with the fostering.
Love to you.

Grafted Branch said...

God bless you! What a beautiful thing you're able to do.

Just surfing through on a rabbit trail...