Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Saturday 12 January 2008

Risky Business

I was reading an entry by Jen, a mom who has adopted a houseful of kids and she talked about taking risks when you invite kids to be part of your family. She has a heart that follows the Lord and I read her faith in action in her blog.
I agree with her that foster care/adoption ministry, like so many others, puts us at risk for "sitting down with sinners" up close and personal.
We attended a church that had a wonderful ministry to orphans in Mexico. They sent teams down to fix their buildings and and to distribute warm clothes and they brought back pictures of adorable children who said a blessing before each meal. Everyone wanted one of those cute orphans in their family. But those cute orphans are broken and in your sweet, loving, Christian home they would steal and lie to survive as they have learned.
We too, as Jen has said, have dealt with problems I could never have imagined. A few years ago I had the prosecuting attorney's phone number on speed dial and I know the names of most mental health facilities in our area. People in our family have been hurt. We have been fooled and betrayed.
And we have been called.
I'm sure there were many times when Jesus wanted to have some good food with the Priests instead of hot dogs with the sinners. And His risk with getting involved with us messy people cost him His life.
So, here's to stepping off the "nice" path and taking a risk. The bigger the risk, the bigger the hurt and the bigger the blessings.
Psalms 37:23

5 comments:

jennifaye said...

(tears in my eyes) ... that's it...

jen

Jenni said...

As we continue to discuss expanding our family through adoption, I can always count on you to inspire me.

justjuls said...

Oh my god - I can't believe you posted about this. We were JUST sitting down at the table last night with a houseful of friends talking about how Christianity means getting your hands dirty - I think you were the one that put it so eloquently to me. I used to feel so differently Kate - but YOU are the one who showed me - we can't live in a bubble - we have to take RISKS.
Oh geesh - I might as well just blog about this - more later.
I still want to be you when I grow up!

Anonymous said...

Great post, you guys are awesome and we love you for what you do.

Love the new layout too.

Anonymous said...

Of course, the ultimate in random risks is HAVING babies...you are never quite sure what you get then and you are stuck with the final outcome...