Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 21 October 2007

Log In My Eye

This past week in our very excellent Veritas Press Bible class we were reading about the fruits of the spirit and decided to look at them up close. The first fruit we looked at was gentleness. The definition we came up with was - being calm, not wild or harsh or stern or rough or abrasive or caustic. To be soothing and tender to others.
The first few days I watched everyone and noted when they were not being gentle. I really wanted to point it out to them it was so obvious. Then about day three I was disciplining one of my kids and I just didn't think they were getting my point. I had to make them understand what they were doing wrong so I spoke a little louder and made my point in a way that they could see what I meant and how I felt about it and basically implied that what they were doing was going to ruin their life forever. It was something like forgetting to feed the cat. I was harsh and stern and oh yes- rough and caustic. There wasn't a tender word in the whole exchange. Seems the fruit had fallen right off my tree. I was seein
g the grapes in everyone else's eye and missed the watermelon in mine.
Also this week each of our girls received a gift of a book cover and apparently only one of them knew how to use it appropriately.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clearly Grace is the only one who knows how to use a book cover. Looks like a combo of skull cap and Roman Soldier head gear.
All parents suffer from the plank (or watermelon) in the eye syndrome, also known as do as I say not as I do. Its good when we recognize it before we get out of hand.
Now, did you ask the cat how he felt - because no one feeding him could ruin his life. I wish my dog could give a certain someone in my house a few choice words about remembering food and water! You know, pluck out the grapes before they turn into watermelons or starved animals.

Fifi said...

tehehehe........ yeh, been there done that!!!! I need to go read that fruit of the spirit verse again!!!!!
You're so funny(laughy, not weirdo!).... I love your sense of humour!