Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 5 August 2007

Giving and Taking

Although teen age boys can, on the one hand be expensive, (as in wrecking your $30,000 car) they have some value as well. You can send them to do dangerous and risky things, as they believe that they know everything and nothing can hurt them. Which is why we send just these very people off to war. This came into good use, when upon our return from France we noted that a piece of trim had come off the very high, very top of the point of our roof. When my husband asked David and Steven to fix it they got this "yippy-yea" look in their eyes and set out to gather ladders. James carefully explained to them how to do it and went over safety procedures with them. After he stopped talking, they proceeded to do it their way. My nurturing side got a little concerned, but my husband assured me with, "I won't break your boy."
He didn't and the roof got fixed and it saved my husband's knees from climbing up and down and


David felt a little better that he could help out and it didn't decrease his grounding by a single day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my Gosh! that is like every mother's nightmare. I would have to physically leave the premises. I'm glad they got it fixed for you. And I'm glad they didn't fall off and bounce off the ground a couple of times.

Kirsten said...

I'm with Kathie. I can't even stand when they climb the monkey bars - which turns out to be a reasonable fear as Annelise fell from 7 ft right on her head with Steve. (I wasn't there.) So, no more climbing for a while for her. She's ok, but had a good headache.

Anonymous said...

Wow - I see why you said you felt sick. That ladder looks not so secure and it makes the roof look very, very high! Fearless boys. Moms should never have to see these things.

justjuls said...

Ugh - I'd rather never know this stuff - if it weren't for Travis I would have a mamby pamby mama's boy. I let Travis take Kullen off with guns and ammo to shoot and hunt and they sharpen knives and play wit electricity and I agree with Joanne - we should never have to know these things! Ever. I don't even wanna know that the little 5th grade boy with big browny/hazelish eyes that I fell in love with wrecks cars and climbs tall ladders. Can you stick to contraband nail polish and grandbabies!!? My palms are sweating thinking about David on that ladder!

Karasmith said...

Oh, a ladder--what luxuries you have these days. If I recall correctly, last time there was maintainence up there, someone had to dangle over the edge with brothers holding her ankles. Perhaps that is why the trim fell...