Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday 1 August 2007

B is for Botulism

Tomorrow I'll have some rather sad news to write about but today I'll just tell you something alarming I've discovered about myself. I have no fear of non refrigeration. If you went right now and looked inside your refrigerator I know you'll have at least 13 items that say, "refrigerate after opening." And this is the alarming part....I've eaten most of them after they've sat out for say, a whole night. I'll find a food item sitting out in the morning and think, "That doesn't look bad" and then I'll eat it. I haven't ever died or gotten remotely sick from this. Now, I'm not talking a mayonnaise sandwich sitting out at a hot fly infested picnic all day, but a piece of pizza or a hot dog left in the microwave overnight I've eaten. Because of the apparent no ill effect, I've come to question the whole importance of refrigeration panic. I don't plan to expand on this theory, but it does make me wonder. And in case I've invited you over for lunch before and now you feel a little sick about it, I should tell you that I've never served non refrigerated food to anyone else and I never eat food with green on it except for hot dog rolls that you discover have just the tiniest spots on them right before you serve dinner and you don't have any others and everyones really hungry. I sometimes am sceptical about the whole germ deal, but that's been proven by Louis Pasteur and other scientist of note, so I'll think that over some more before stating an opinion.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All night counter pizza is a delicacy. On the other hand, brussels sprouts that have been sitting out all night should be immediately thrown away.
Richard insists that a stick of butter always be left out so it is easy to spread. So we eat non refrigerated butter, but in all these years no one has been sick from it.

justjuls said...

Yep - we like Joanne keep butter in a butter dish on the counter. I love pizza overnight - and believe me most of the toppings are so full of preservatives that you could probably eat it after it sat on the counter for a week. I've never seen a pizza box that said refrigerate after opening!
We also - thanks to Helen do not sometimes do not refrigerate our EGGS! Can you believe that? But I looked it up - they do not need to be in the fridge unless you're going to eat them raw. She never refrigerates hers. It's better to refrigerate them - but many bakers prefer them at room temperature.
I know it's freaky - but we are basically walking science experiments.

Karasmith said...

Oh now--that's messed up! Didn't you ever play the Oregon Trail game where they die of dysentary?! Thats from the hot digs buns with a little green and overnight pizza.

Perri said...

I did read of a guy who died after eating a baked potato which had sat out all night wrapped in foil.

Be careful!

Love the new fan - so clean looking (this week.)

Kirsten said...

I learned well from my momma. If there's a lot of leftover pizza, I leave it in the box and store it in the oven. It fits perfectly. The only thing is you have to remember to take it out before preheating. If not, that can cause a problem...
And eggs are sold unrefrigerated often here in France. Yum!
My theory is my kids are just building up a good resistance for Chad!