Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday 8 July 2007

"Let's Go to the Movies"

Not typically, our family has gone to see three movies this week - a fact that all but forces my hand as movie critic.
Our first movie, "The Pirates of the Caribbean 3", was a wonderful experience, but it had little to do with the actual movie. Our friends, the Nicholsons, invited us to go with them to the Drive In. This was a 51 year old, real, honest to goodness drive in. The kids played on the playground and adults talked and relaxed till dark. With coolers, food, blankets and lawn chairs we sat out in a perfect cool summer night and watched the movie. The only slightly downer on the evening was the movie itself. I've watched the other two in the series and I'm moderately intelligent, but I had no idea who was on who's side for the majority of the movie. The movie was very long but being outside made it bearable. Skip this one if you have to watch it inside.


The second movie we atte
nded was "Ratatouille". We had seen the previews and my husband loved the line - "once you learn to muscle through the gag reflex there's a whole new world of dining possibilities." The movie was stupid and that line never actually made it in. We went with our friends Anita and Sonja which was the best I can say for the event.

Lastly, Steven and David have been very excited about the movie, "Transformers", to the extent that Steven offered to pay for all of us to go. Between their work schedules we had to see it last night at 10:20pm. Not an ideal time to begin a movie that I was expecting to be horrible. I noticed that the theater was filled with mostly young men between 17 and 30 which told me this probably was not the demographic group to which I was accustomed but what a surprise! It was a good movie...lots of action, a little love story, good wins over evil..it had it all. The late hour was not a problem as the transformers operated at ear splitting volume which made it impossible to nod off. I give this movie a thumbs up! (There was some language which makes it a poor choice for little ones.) Even "da sis-tahs" loved it!
Pass the popcorn please!

5 comments:

Karasmith said...

What surprising results! Well I guess you never know...at least you make it out to see movies!

Anonymous said...

I am refusing to take kids to Ratatouille. Gross. If they want to see it they will have to convince their Dad or some other unsuspecting victim.
Debi shared my disgust and compared it to something that is probably not appropriate to leave here, but we are in agreement that there is no amount of animation that can make a rat in the kitchen acceptable.

Anonymous said...

they look ssoooooo cute!!!!!
lane

justjuls said...

I HATED Pirates 3 - haven't seen the other two and don't care to -
I would see Ratatouille with the Whitacres if we were closer just because that would make it fun!
What we are looking forward to now is Harry Potter! Woo hoo - we are going to see it at an IMAX in 3-D on opening night!

QavahYada said...

It feels like a sin to say this, because I loved the first one so much, but I didn't like Pirates 3 at all. I expected the third one to redeem the second, which I considered sort of mediocre, but after watching the third one, I have to say that I think they should have just stopped after #1.

I would LOVE to see Ratatouille...I've been wanting to see it for awhile, and it looks so cute! Are you sure you aren't critiquing it too harshly, Miss Kate? ;-)